- "An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with some difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming."
- —Cole Grant
Tech Commander, known to the public as Cole Grant, is a technological genius and high-ranking member of the EPF, so much that he became a founding member of the Essentials. As the EPF Academy's smartest graduate, Cole entered field work way of danger, and excelled at engineering new tech and weapons. The genius formed a brainy bond with the Hoodie and took a slot on the Essentials as the engineering, chemistry and medical expert. He flourished in his new role and became an invaluable agent, and always stepped up to the challenge.
Intent on imagining the future and playing the shining knight, Cole never stopped improving his amazing ability to adapt to any challenge. He helped found the Essentials, endowing the team with technology to make it the best it could be, even as his personal life suffered. His passion for invention and excellence keeps him battling for balance. Despite mortal enemies constantly trying to crack his armor, he's risen from defeat time and time again to protect those he loves and the world's precious future.
He is notorious for supplying tech to the Essentials, while also maintaining his position as lead scientist, engineer and sole archer.
Cole was a rebellious street kid with smarts, and is a genius who used his inventions to survive and thrive on the corrupted streets of Vancouver.
During his time throughout middle and high school, Cole was on the diving and chess teams, and took French class, although he didn't care for it.
Agent Cole Grant was hand-picked from Canada by Oswald Garrington for his leadership abilities, strategic prowess, combat skills, and his tendency to do what he believes to be right even when that conflicts with his commanding officer's orders. Now one of the EPF's most elite agents, Cole is one of the greatest living marksmen on the planet, due to his exceptional reflexes and impeccable hand-eye coordination.
Cole eventually became commander of an elite military unit specializing in everything from espionage to aviation, intelligence, inventing, design, combat, front line operations, medicine, infiltrations, space flights, and sabotage. His title was Tech Commander as he rose through the ranks, and it would eventually stick as his superhero name.
Operation Eternal WinterEdit
Adventures with the EssentialsEdit
- "My name is Cole, and I'm usually into building things. This particular thing, I'd like to take apart real fast, before it takes us apart."
- —Cole Grant
One day, Cole had invited two members of his new team, Jake and Peter to his penthouse for a new technological demonstration: Project Nanotech, nanobots working together as a colony, coordinated by the hive mind contained within the robotic cells. At the time, the safety restriction was still in place, meaning they cannot disassemble molecules or organic cells, like it will in the future to perform microscopic operations. The nanobots have the ability to take apart and reassemble mechanical devices. However, the mental structure of the hive mind was equivalent to that of an infant absorbing new information, essentially, personifying. Cole attempted to eradicate the personality glitch, and wanted his two best friends to be present.
Moments after his friends arrived, the nanobots infested Cole's Tech-Cubes, and immediately attacked the trio. They fought back, but ultimately could not win. Before the nanotech escaped, Jake enthusiastically codenamed it Bloxbuster. Like a child, the Bloxbuster lashed out, headed for the rest of Emerald City, too fast for the three friends. One of its first actions was taking apart burglar alarms, allowing burglars to rob stores. Cole and his friends geared up, and headed to the city to hunt down the childish creature. Downtown, they fought him off, and after Hoodie swiftly sliced off its arm, Cole gathered the synthetic limb and suggested the team took a tactical evade.
Back at base, Cole talked about how since the nanobots were microscopic robots all working together, the ones that were separated became mindless and unmotivated. Their biggest threat was that the nanobots reproduce themselves, making copies of itself, it is potentially unstoppable. Cole thought to trace the bots using their unique power signature, so he used his tracker to get a lock on it. As much as it pained Cole to destroy such amazing technology, he remembered the nanobots are susceptible to extreme heat, intriguing Peter.
For the showdown, they located the bots to a junkyard, where the bots made ample usage of its technology to assimilate itself with the wrecked vehicles, becoming a mech. Cole's strategy was to hit it so fast it couldn't rebuild itself, to nearly no avail. To finish him off, Jake used his inhuman strength to knock the giant mech towards Peter, who absolutely roasted it, decimating it.
Cole is somewhat of a futurist, someone who tries to predict the future, or in his case, trying to create it by inventing technology for the next century and trying to make the world a better place.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Armor Summon: Due to a series of computer chips he has implanted in his arms, Cole can summon armor, as well as place armor on others, with a simple gesture.
- "Chess is a game of anticipation. If you know every single possible move, you can anticipate your adversary's next move before he does."
- —Cole Grant
- Genius-level Intellect: Cole is a genius (140 IQ) who has become a very well known agent in the EPF tech community for his technological expertise. Cole possessed two PhDs' for biochemistry by the time he was 17, and continued his studies at the EPF Academy. He graduated as one of the youngest cadets in the history of the Academy due to his intellect. Cole possesses a sharp and bright mind, focused on analysis, that has allowed him to research and develop many breakthrough equipment for the EPF.
- Master Engineer: Cole has designed and created many of the equipment commonly used by EPF agents. He has also created many of the tools used for analysis and scientific work. The sensitive nature of many mission has made him to develop devices against the clock that needed to be adapted to the parameters of each mission.
- Master Scientist: Cole's expertise in the field of biochemistry has allowed him to work in the research and development of many breakthrough discoveries. He is highly gifted and knowledgeable in many fields of science practiced such as biology, biochemistry, anatomy and physics.
- Expert Physician: Cole was often charged with evaluating and treating any injuries sustained by his teammates and colleagues, being skilled enough to apply advanced first aid to people when they are shot by, and to perform autopsies on corpses. He has extensive knowledge of human, animal and alien physiology, anatomy and DNA when needed even beating out scientists, physicians and terroristic agencies ahead of time.
- " "
- —Cole Grant
- Bilingualism: Cole can speak his native English with Canadian dialect, and can speak French, which he took in school, although he did not enjoy taking it.
- Master Spy: Cole is a proficient agent trained in espionage, stealth, disguise and infiltration. He has spent years on some missions as an undercover agent.
- Master Martial Artist: Cole is a master at hand-to-hand combat. In Cole's mind, every battle is a new problem and every opponent requires a new formula. Cole knows his work has to be disciplined and meticulous, even if they are the sort of calculations that leave someone bruised and bloody. And they are. The moment Cole begins to move, he becomes methodical and efficient like the trained soldier he is.
- Bow Mastery: Cole has extensively trained himself to become a master archer specializing in the use of regular bows, longbows, compound bows, and crossbows with perfect accuracy. He is capable of firing multiple arrows at a single target in a few seconds, and directly hit small targets in the greatest of distances. He is ambidextrous, able to use bows with either hand in either place. Cole is also capable of using his bow as a melee weapon in close quarters combat.
- Master Marksman: Cole possesses very keen eyesight, and his accuracy is virtually unerring. He is able to hit at his target's weak points with extreme accuracy. He can also score a bulls-eye with three darts simultaneously thrown without effort. Cole is also an extremely accurate marksman well versed in conventional firearms due to his military training.
- E-Comm: Cole designed E-Comms for G-Tech, and are now used among members of the Essentials. Cole's variation always features his holo-monocle displayed.
- Specialized Arrow Quiver: Cole's quiver is supplied with a multitude of different arrowheads in the bottom. By dialing up an armament setting from a control on his bow, Cole can cause the quiver to affix these special arrowheads. This effectively increases the capabilities from conventional arrows, to explosive arrows, a grapple line, and more.
- Tech Commander Suit: Originally his agent suit, Cole used his skills to modify his suit, thereby enhancing his performance on the battlefield. It uses Kevlar, making it bulletproof, and features fireproof boots.
- Portable Armor: Cole has a suit made up of a multitude of individual, miniature plates that allow the suit to be collapsed and compacted into the unassuming form of a briefcase. The armor increases Cole's natural physical abilities to superhuman levels, granting him high levels of superhuman strength and durability.
Weaponry and GadgetsEdit
- "Gotta love modern weapons tech."
- —Cole Grant
- Recurve Bow: Cole is seen with a heavily customized recurve bow in blackout colors, and is capable of folding on itself for easier transport and concealment by way of added hinges located by the tiller adjustment bolts. It also has multiple buttons on the bow's grip which are capable of selecting specific arrowheads stored in his mechanical quiver. A laser sight to assist in targeting can also be found on the riser. The bow has a capability to transform into a bo staff which can be used for closed quarters combat.
- Trick Arrows: Cole's weapon of choice, the collapsible recurve bow, comes equipped with an arsenal of custom designed arrows. These arrows range from smoke screens to EMP detonators to grappling hooks to thermal incendiary and so on.
- FN P90: A fully loaded compact assault rifle with attached silencer. This submachine gun is light, powerful, and handy in close quarters combat.
- Claridge Hi-Tec: Semi-automatic 9mm pistol.
- M-24 Shotgun: Pump-action shotgun with a five round magazine.
- FN-2000: From Belgium.
- Milkor MGL: Milkor 40-millimeter grenade launcher for tear gas or smoke for crowd control.
- M134: 7.62 minigun with six individual barrels, 6,000 rounds per minute.
- Flashlight: A top of the line titanium flashlight. It works underwater, and has an eight hour battery life.
- Riot Shield Bracelet
- Flashbangs: Cole heaves a blinding grenade that explodes shortly after it leaves his hand. The blast staggers enemies in a small radius.
Tech Commander DesignsEdit
- Bow and Quiver
- Trick Arrows
- Transistorized Blast Gun
- Ionized Air Cannon
- Fire Gauntlets
- Energy Gauntlet
- Firework Burst Grenade
- PropX Charge (Proprietary Explosive)
- Super-Sight Scouting Sweeper
- Light King - Father
- Light Queen - Mother
- Vampire King - Uncle
- Cole has won multiple chess championships. Chess is a duel of intellect, an ancient game of strategy with infinite outcomes.
- Cole's favorite colors are silver and blue.
- Cole's superhero name is also his title as an agent.
- Cole excels at playing pool, as he claims it's all elastic collision equations, contact point geometry, and practice.
- Cole plays e-sports, specifically MOBAs: multiplayer online battle arena. He is a fan of League of Legends.
- Cole has a taste for MREs.