- "Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words: with great power, comes great responsibility. This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Solar Flare."
- —Peter Blake
Solar Flare, known to the public as Peter Blake, is a superhero and strategic mission specialist of the original roster of the Essentials. Peter went on numerous missions with his friends, and forging an especially strong friendship with their leader, the Hoodie.
Peter learned the lesson of a lifetime: "With great power must also come great responsibility." Peter's earned both hateful enemies and honorable allies, often labeled as a menace by the people he's sworn to protect, he's grown into a valuable team-player and an experienced mentor for a new generation of young heroes, and took up the cause of justice. With eyes wide open to the particular dangers of the world around him, he's fighting against all odds to be the best he can be.
Hoodie soon disappeared, however, and left to find him, leaving his mantle to the vigilante Nismo Cipher, who took on the mantle of Flare, and he later passed the mantle onto Peter's own son, Logan, also known as Sun Storm. When Peter found Jake, the two began to round up the remaining Essentials for even greater adventures.
Peter was born in Alvestone, a borough of Smog City. Sadly, his parents gave him up to an orphanage, where he was raised until his teenage years. During his time there, though, he honed skills in deduction and deception.
When he was sixteen, he ran away to live on the streets of Smog. Eventually, he was recruited to be a member of a gang, where he learned to fight. He participated in regular matches, until one night he was ordered by his gang leader to "finish off" his opponent. Peter refused, as he developed a strong sense of justice. Feeling betrayed, his leader told the rest of the gang to finish off Peter instead.
Peter left the streets of Smog, and was adopted by a family.
Forming the EssentialsEdit
Adventures with the EssentialsEdit
Peter would go on to take part in may adventures alongside the Essentials, growing particularly close with Hoodie, Tech Commander and Blue Ninja. He and Hoodie, AKA Jake Woods, would develop a close bond in which Peter learned more about his free will, and Jake would learn more about humanity from a lower-class perspective. He and Jake would spar more than the other heroes, which resulted in a stalemate almost each time. Peter's exceptional martial arts skills versus Jake's programmed fight patterns were nearly matched. When they weren't fighting, they would explore Emerald City and all it had to offer, often searching for crime to fight or seeking a thrill. On one occasion, the two fought off a giant, green ogre which randomly appeared in a forest close to the urban jungle.
Attack of BloxbusterEdit
Following a disastrous duel between his best friend and King Cog which ended in the former being blasted into outer space. Hearing of this, Peter left to conduct a search to find him.
Peter, having eventually found his friend stranded in space, brought him to a McLaren Industries space probe in order to "heal" (recharge) him. After Jake's awakening, Peter brought him up to speed on events.
He still harbored guilt for not being there to protect Earth, and decided that he could do his penance: by defeating one last villain...
- "Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us we always have a choice. My friend Jake taught me that. He chose to be the best of himself. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right."
- —Peter Blake
Peter, as a hero who flies around, saving people, is a courageous and self-sacrificing person who sets an example for everybody. People line up for him, cheer him, scream his name and years later tell how they stood in the rain for hours, just to get a glimpse of him, who told them to hold on a second longer. Peter believes there's a hero in all of us who keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most, even our dreams.
Peter is loyal, caring, and intelligent. He has demonstrated these qualities in various situations, especially when his friends and family are involved. He shows his loyalty to his teammates by staying with them despite the possibility he could be hurt. His intelligence and problem-solving skills have come to play in several instances, using his knowledge of science and street smarts.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Peter's powers are derived from liquid demonic transference, in a form of exotic matter.
- Fire Manipulation: Peter was exposed to chemicals that strengthened the cytoskeleton within each cell in his body. Peter began to exhibit moderate pyrokinetic abilities after the laboratory explosion. His power was increased through training, allowing him to use it in a defensive manner, able to create a shield of flames around him that is able to melt the bullets shot at him, as well as throw fireballs. The platelets in his blood prevent the chemicals in him from combusting, meaning they are fire-resistant. Considering he is pyrokinetic, his genetics stabilize the chemicals from making him explode.
- Fire Breathing: Peter's mutated throat muscles granted him the ability to breathe fire, using it as an offensive power.
- Fire Immunity: The platelets in his blood prevent the chemicals in him from combusting, meaning they are fire-resistant.
- Fire Infusion: Peter has shown the power to infuse objects with fire, as he does with weapons. He has control over the infused object, as he uses fire infused weapons to attack his opponents.
- Flight: Peter is able to fly when he fires pyrokinetic blasts downward at a consistent rate, thereby defying generating enough force to defy gravity and allow for stable propulsion and gliding.
- Heat Manipulation: Peter can dramatically increase the surrounding temperature of the air, like an extreme heat wave.
- Body Temperature Manipulation: Peter is able to consciously raise the temperature of parts of his body. The effect can be controlled to the extent that it might only scorch skin, or increased to the point where it can cause steel to turn into a molten state.
- Solar Manipulation: Peter can manipulate aspects of the sun. The wavelength of Earth's yellow sun fuel his solar powers.
- Solar Sense: Peter's most noteworthy trait is his paranormal survival instincts, which warn him of impending danger moments before it arrives, while under the sun.
- Superhuman Strength: Peter's muscles are stronger and more efficient than a human. His strength alone is sufficient enough to catch cars, and he is shown to be able to easily overpower normal humans, people with superhuman strength, and pull apart guns. His strength also allows him to jump higher and farther than a normal human, easily capable of jumping from one building over a street to the next. Peter's strength is great enough to lift 10-30 tons, though it visibly strains him to do so.
- Superhuman Durability: Peter's muscles and flesh are tougher than a normal human. His body is physically resistant towards impact force, as he has taken punches from people with superhuman strength without any serious injuries, and has shaken off direct energy blasts from Hoodie.
- Superhuman Speed: Peter can move faster than an ordinary human and is adept at dodging quickly, and can easily catch up to speeding vehicles.
- Superhuman Agility: Peter is superhumanly agile. Due to his incredible agility and flexibility Peter is extremely acrobatic and is able to preform high jumps, somersaults, flips and the like.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Peter's metabolism is greater thus allowing him to heal much faster than a normal human. He is also more immune to toxins and alcohol and drugs or could lose their effects quicker. However, he is able to heal from gunshot wounds without medical attention.
- "Clever beats strong any day."
- —Peter Blake
- Gifted Intelligence: Peter is quite intelligent, and his mechanically inclined intelligence grants him knowledge in technology and experience with robotics. As a scientist, he can solve any problem with his mind, and is familiar with the scientific method (observation, hypothesis, prediction, experimentation, conclusion).
- Expert Tactician: Peter, as the strategic mission specialist of the team, is a highly experienced tactician trained to make game-time decisions.
- Expert Hacker: Peter is an extremely skilled computer science user and a very capable hacker.
- "No long-range attacks. Up close and personal. Targeting nerve clusters! Pressure points! Striking with solar-speed. Hitting with solar-strength!"
- —Peter Blake
- Master Martial Artist: Peter is a master martial artist who has progressed from newbie street fighting to numerous coordinated combat fighting styles, including Gymnastics, Boxing, Wing Chun, Karate, Taekwondo, Capoeira, Judo, Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Professional Wrestling, and lastly has studied one of the most time-honored traditions in Japanese culture: the great martial art of Aikido, the key principle of which is to deflect your aggressor's attack by using their own speed and strength/momentum and force against them. Essentially, with Aikido, a weak opponent can defeat a much stronger one. He is shown to be very precise and methodical, quickly adjusting his tactics to better suit the situation and type of opponent. He's especially on par with his best friends Jake Woods and Cole Grant; in an alternate reality, Peter and Jake were so evenly matched that they fought to their apparent deaths.
- Master Acrobat: Peter can perform acrobatic and gymnastic feats with ease, due to his superhuman agility.
- Expert Marksman: Peter has developed extremely accurate aim from utilizing his fire-based and solar energy-based attacks, thus allowing him to fire at his opponents from long distances.
- Fire Grenade: Peter can shoot fireballs from his mouth.
- Fire Stream: A beam of fire released from either of his palms.
- Solar Sphere: A spiraling sphere of solar energy formed and held in the palm of his hand. Peter forms this spherical shape while he provides the energy. Over time, Peter's improved skills allow him to produce larger versions of the Solar Sphere and perform it faster. Peter has shown the ability to release the Solar Sphere as an energy wave, or as a projectile.
- Solar Flare Suit: Peter wears this red and purple protective combat armor to disguise his identity when fighting evil.
- Solar Signal: A red light emitted from Peter's gauntlets.
- Solar System: His tablet features a built-in computer system with holographic interface. Although capable of scanning and wireless connectivity where appropriate, USB and TRS connector cables and a USB port are included.
- EPF - Employers
- Essentials - Teammates
- Peter's alias originates from a Club Penguin item, as well as the Dragon Ball technique.