"It's not about what's under the hood that matters, it's who's behind the wheel."Flare, known to the public as Roman "Nismo" Cypher, is a superhero vigilante residing in Emerald City, and founding member of the new roster of Essentials. He took up the mantle of Solar Flare after he led an expedition to find his friend in space.
Brought in by Jason Kade to aid the new Essentials, Nismo swiftly proved his worth as mechanic and engineer. Jason grew to depend upon him for his wise council and calm demeanor, and when things got bad, he was promoted to interim leader. He was close with Jason; it was a partnership built on trust despite rough patches and dark times.
Nismo still stands tall as the new Essentials' strong man in more ways than one.
Early Life Edit
Adventures with the New Essentials Edit
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Flight: Nismo's boots allow him to take flight.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: The Fire Gauntlets are laced with a microthread that Tech Commander designed to accelerate Nismo's healing.
- Superhuman Strength: The Fire Gauntlets give Nismo the strength of 10 men.
- Master Engineer: Nismo is the chief engineer of the Essentials. Nismo has worked on a turbine supercar that runs on biodiesel, and has a well-lit background with certain fields and branches of engineering and mechanics that he could hold an on par debate concerning both his project and the field in general with his friend Tech Commander.
- Master Hacker: Nismo is an accomplished hacker, and his skills are utilized in missions for intelligence gathering and data interpretation. Nismo is a master at pattern recognition and analysis. Nismo's skills allow him to hack into security cameras, erase the recordings and loop the feed.
- Master Investigator: Nismo is capable of observation, forensic investigation, and inductive and deductive reasoning of the highest caliber. Human intuition is an unlearnable trait and one of Nismo's most effective tools. Given any mystery, he can arrive at any conclusions with a fraction of the data.
- Master Martial Artist: Nismo was trained in martial arts by Solar Flare to become a warrior of the streets. As such, Nismo is highly skilled, and employs a mixed martial arts style that derives elements of Muay Thai, Capoeira, Karate, Brazilian jiu jitsu, and Okinawan martial arts. Hence, he is able to overpower thugs, gang members, and highly skilled ninjas, and gain the upper hand against others in duels.
- E-Comm: Nismo's variation of the E-Comm is built into the sides of his goggles.
- Fire Gauntlets: A pair of gauntlets that shoot fire, enhance his strength, protect him from fire and heat, and accelerate his healing. The gauntlets are reinforced to nullify the impact of punches and kicks.
- Flare Suit: Oswald Garrington built Nismo a diagnostic suit so the latter could monitor his own vitals with the Solar System. The fabrics are a polymer blend with 10 layers of treated composite material. The suit is perfect for an array of tactical missions, measures his heart rate, systolic pressures, and glucose levels all while providing state-of-the-art ballistic protection. When Nismo's vitals are dangerously low, a medical alert will appear on the Solar System.
Weaponry and GadgetsEdit
- Solar System: A holographic interface tablet for use while in civilian clothing.
- Supercar: A turbine supercar with an engine like the one used in some helicopters, only it runs on biodiesel, as it will run off anything that burns with oxygen. The hardest part was amplifying torque without increasing drag. While a heavier engine would only slow things down, the streamlined version optimizes the torque and horsepower. Nismo also used a one-to-one transfer gearbox to drop the output shaft of the engine, as well as reversed rotation and sent more power to the torque converter.
- Arsonal - Copycat
- Nismo received his nickname from his prize-winning racing car.
- Nismo's former heist gear include night vision goggles, rebreathers, flares, and thermite bombs.