- "While earth is strong and air is fluid, water can be both; strong and fluid. Over time, it's strong enough to carve rock. I can use my cup to stop its flow. It can adapt. It's flexible, shapeless. You put water in a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. I am water."
- —Alex Garrington
Blue Ninja, known to the public as Alex Garrington, is a superhero and member of the original roster of the Essentials. When they disbanded, he became a master himself.
Alex's father made him study martial arts, and his rigorous training taught him that everyone gets knocked down, but heroes are the ones who get back up. He is perfect for combat missions requiring hand-to-hand combat, as he is a master of martial arts, such as judo, aikido, and karate. After finishing his training, Alex returned to America to continue his education, with the help of the EPF, and becoming a founding member of the Essentials. Alex learned that heroes aren't born, they're trained, which meant learning to work as a team. When his teammates may rush into battle, Alex has got a different approach. Alex is cool like water under pressure, and wise beyond his years.
A supreme martial artist, Alex is also an excellent combination of strength and pliability. He was known to often quarrel with Solar Flare, but their mutual interest for justice kept them steady.
At a young age, Alex was diagnosed with dissociative identity disorder, with his multiple personalities determining their own individual skills, except one, which triggers Alex's centers of aggression and switches off the inhibitors, simulating a demon Alex nicknamed Red. Red would later divulge chthonic powers, one of which being the ability to materialize his own form and separate from Alex's mind, causing an imbalance for the rest of Alex's life, until his training, giving him a sense of both balance and harmony.
Alex's training to become the master of water began with finding the qualities of water within himself. Alex became strong over time, flexible, and able to adapt, and metaphorically became water. He learned to unlock his own elemental dragon, the Hydrogon. It was all but imperative that he go with the flow. To find his full potential, he had to find what made him weak, for in his weakness lied strength.
The bucket test was his most challenging test. He had to fill it with water, even though there was a hole in the bottom. After realizing his weakness was feeling weak, he kicked the bucket into a pond. He didn't even notice he successfully completed the task, as the bucket was full while underwater.
He also concentrated, focusing on reversing the flow of water, embracing to control water and become the water ninja. He faced it that he was the water ninja when he made it rain, in fear.
Alex began to think if he gets over his fear of failure, he'll be able to control water. He was told not to try so hard, as he couldn't fail if he doesn't care. Usually when he wanted something so badly, he'd trip over his own feet. Using the message "become the water", he was able to reverse the flow of a stream, allowing him to pull boats back to him
Alex could then move water, but not control it. His father told him he had always put too much pressure on himself, and that if he could move water, maybe his training was working. Soon, he was able to hold back a wave and project concussive beams of water.
Evan though he hadn't found his true potential yet, he realized that his greatest power isn't what he can throw at his enemies, but rather a united team. He learned to generate spheres of water, which he could change the size of as well as throw. He also learned to propel himself with water, allowing him flight. Finally, he embraced what held him back, and unlocked his true potential. He learned not to be afraid to fail, and became able to generate water cyclones and a tsunami wave.
Adventures with the EssentialsEdit
- "My mind is like water. When it is agitated, it becomes difficult to see. But if I allow it to settle... the answer becomes clear."
- —Alex Garrington
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Water Manipulation: Alex has the ability to tap into his chi, harnessing it in a hydrokinetic appearance. He can use this to project offensively, and utilize defensively, or serve any number of cases. He can manipulate water from a nearby source, such as fire hydrants. His water blasts are capable of slicing through metal and other materials.
- Water Constructs: Surface tension is the property which allows molecules of water on its surface to form a sort of stretchy skin which allows it to retain its shape and durability at a small size. Alex can effectively strengthen the hydrogen bonds between water molecules so that the surface tension of water manifestations he creates are virtually unbreakable. This is useful for executing concussive force in his water weapons.
- Superhuman Strength: Alex has incredible superhuman strength, allowing him to stand without being moved by huge ocean waves.
- Superhuman Durability: Alex's skin is quite dense, making him incredibly durable and able to withstand immense water pressures.
- "Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. That water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend."
- —Bruce Lee
Due to his training, Alex is aware that both life and fighting can be shapeless and ever changing, allowing him to be able to adapt to those changes instantaneously and bring forth the appropriate solution. Alex believes the best defense is a strong offense, and seeks to waste no time or movement.
- Master Martial Artist: Alex is one of the Essentials' best martial arts, possessing a mastery of Jeet Kune Do, the Way of the Intercepting Fist; Jeet Kune Do is not only a martial art system, but also a way of life, the art of expressing the human body. To obtain victory, Alex is fluid and able to adapt to any situation and function in any scenario he is thrown into and reacts accordingly; he knows when to speed up or slow down, when to expand and when to contract, and when to remain flowing like a river and when to crash like a wave. Alex intercepts his opponents' attacks with attacks of his own instead of simply blocking them. When confronting an incoming attack, the attack is parried or deflected, and Alex delivers a counterattack at the same time. This is more effective than blocking and counterattacking in sequence. When fighting, Alex conserves both energy and time, two crucial components in a physical confrontation.
- Sword Mastery: Alex is extremely skilled in the use of his hydrokinetic swords.
- Whip Mastery: Alex is highly proficient in the use of his two hydrokinetic whips. Alex relies on his whips for long-range combat.
- Master Acrobat: Alex is absurdly agile, and has spent years developing his flexibility, and even more years applying it in combat.
- Blue Ninja Suit
Weaponry and GadgetsEdit
- Water Weapons: Alex's manipulation and manifestation of water allows him to construct water weapons. These range from swords to whips.
- Oswald Garrington - Father
- Michelle Garrington - Mother
- Ava Garrington - Sister
- Saul Garrington/Blue Samurai - Alternate Reality Future Son
- Alex is a master of Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, teaching that the simplest things work best. Economy of motion is the principle by which Jeet Kune Do practitioners achieve.
- Efficiency: An attack which reaches its target in the least amount of time, with maximum force.
- Directness: Doing what comes naturally in a disciplined way.
- Simplicity: Thinking in an uncomplicated manner, without ornamentation.